Are You Ready?!
We are currently in full-blown Open prep! Haven’t you noticed the higher amount of volume lately? The number of workouts with rowing, biking, double unders, etc.? We are training for the Open which begins on February 24th!
The CrossFit Open happens once a year. It’s an opportunity where people from all over the world can compete against one another in a test of fitness for all age groups. Each week, for 3 weeks, Thursday nights will have a live announcement that will explain the workout, and then a couple of the sports top athletes will battle it out head to head. The Open then takes top-scored athletes on to the next stage of the competition which is the quarter-finals, then semifinals, and then finally the CrossFit Games, where the fittest on earth will be crowned.
Saturday Morning Open Workouts
For the entire duration of the Open (all 3 weeks), we will be doing Saturday morning Open workouts beginning at 10:30 am. Week 1 will be at North, week 2 will be at West, week 3 will be at North, and then we will have a 4th week at West doing the CFK Games!
These Saturday mornings will be your opportunity to do the Open workouts with a judge so that you may submit a valid score to the Crossfit Open website. (If you plan on needing a judge, BE a judge! Take the judge’s course here.)
IF YOU CAN JUDGE, PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME AND AVAILABILITY ON THE LIST HERE.
Heat times will be available in Wodify beginning Thursday night. So you will have all day on Friday and into Saturday morning to reserve your heat time.
At the end of the day, when everyone has completed the workout, we’ll all hang out, drink some beer, have a snack, and call it a day!
The CFK Games!
What better way to finish off the Open than to have a final day of competition! The Open is 3 weeks long, so we are going to do a final 4th week, The CFK Games. This is going to be an in-house, same-sex, partner competition consisting of 2 heat-scheduled workouts plus a 3rd floater workout for you and your partner to do at your own leisure at some point throughout the day. The catch here though is that all of the Open workouts will also count toward your score! Complete the Open workouts on Friday, or Saturday mornings, leading up to the day of the CFK Games, and the winning teams will be crowned on March 19th!
February 26th | First heat 10:30 am | CFK NORTH – The Open Event 1
March 5th | First heat 10:30 am | CFK WEST – The Open Event 2
March 12th | First heat 10:30 am | CFK NORTH – The Open Event 3
March 19th | First heat 9:00 am | CFK WEST – THE CFK Games (Partner Event)
Community WOD will still happen at both locations at 9 am on all Saturdays except for March 19th, all classes canceled
UPDATE: Saturday 8 AM CrossFit, Gymnastics at West, and Weightlifting at both locations will still happen except for March 19th, all classes canceled
10:15 CrossFit classes canceled on all four Saturdays at both locations
Why You Should Do The CrossFit Open
Every year when the Open comes around, it brings a sense of community to the world of CrossFit. There is just something about knowing that you are doing the exact same workouts as everyone else in CrossFit during the weeks of the Open. Everyone, from the youngest teen athletes to games athletes, and even 65+, will be doing their version of the same workout, which is tapered to their division.
Open workouts are designed to be very challenging, so it is an opportunity to truly test your fitness, to show yourself how far you’ve come. If you’re into the competitive side, then it allows you to test yourself against others all over the world.
The CrossFit Open is a staple moment each year for the CrossFit community. Everyone can do it, just as everyone can do CrossFit. There will be multiple divisions: Scaled, Teens, Masters, Rx, and Adaptive athletes as well. There is nothing quite like your first CrossFit Open. For those who have been through it on numerous occasions, they will agree, the CrossFit Open is an opportunity you do not want to miss!
Steps You Can Take To Prepare
- Be Consistent. Try not to miss your workouts. The more consistent your training is, the more fit you will become, the better you will do with the workouts!
- Increase Your Technique & Efficiency. Efficiency is the name of the game, the best way to do that is to focus on your movement quality. The better your technique, the less energy you spend, the more efficient you become!
- Recover, Recover, Recover. You must recover from your training. Recovery is where you will get better, stronger, faster, etc. Be sure to sleep a lot, eat your protein, drink your water, and stretch often.
- Work On Your Weaknesses. If your weakness is mobility, then do more mobility. If your weakness is a skill, then practice that skill. If your weakness is your engine, then do more monostructural/cardio training.
- Reduce Your Self Criticism. The mental side of things is huge when it comes to performance. It’s good to have high standards, but if you constantly beat yourself up, then you’ll never be able to enjoy yourself. The open, while challenging, is also supposed to be fun and enjoyable.
- Register! (Let The Games Begin!)
- Take the Judges Course! If you plan to need a judge, be a judge! Judges count reps and ensure scores are counted up accurately. The Judges course will educate you on movement standards and qualify you to judge for the Open. You must take the CrossFit Judges course to be a judge for the Open. The cost is $10. Judges course registration link