More than 30,000 people in the United States are living with Cystic Fibrosis, and approximately 1,000 new cases of CF are diagnosed each year. A progressive, genetic disease caused by a defective gene mutation, Cystic Fibrosis is a potentially deadly disease that causes persistent lung infections and restricts the ability to breathe over time. More than 75% of those affected are diagnosed by age 2.
A note from Johnny Davis:
CrossFit Knoxville is proud to be hosting our 6th Annual CF Squared event to raise money and awareness for the East TN Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
My 4 month old sister, Jennifer, died of Cystic Fibrosis when I was 4 years old. I saw what it did to my parents and how it devastated them and would like to help others avoid that if possible.
Cystic Fibrosis is one of the rare diseases that a cure might actually be in sight and your donations and efforts can legitimately make a difference. Come join us for some friendly competition to raise awareness and fundraising dollars to help those living with Cystic Fibrosis in Tennessee. One hundred percent of proceeds will be donated to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation!
- When: Saturday, March 14 2020 (9:15 am – 11:30 am)
- Where: CFK North (906 Callahan Drive)
- How to Register & purchase T-shirt: Click HERE (both team members must register individually)
- Cost: $40/athlete (includes event t-shirt!) – 100% of all proceeds donated to CFF!!
- $20 for event only – no t-shirt
- $25 for t-shirt only – no event)
- Partner format: 2-person any sex teams (If you don’t have a partner we will find you one!)
- Both team members must register individually
- Divisions: Rx, Rx-ish, Beginner
- T-Shirts will be printed after the event to allow for late sign ups.
CF Squared Challenge WOD:
As with the symptoms and demands of the disease, this competition will include one lung-demanding workout designed to challenge athletes’ airways and ability to breathe.
In teams of 2, complete the following for time:
500m Simultaneous Row
21 Alternating Thrusters, EACH
- Partner A’s barbell must be completely stopped and resting on the shoulders or overhead before Partner B can start their Thruster
- 5 Burpee penalty for setting the bar down. Both athletes must complete 5 burpees each!
- Thruster weights: Rx (95/65), Rx-ish (65/45), Beginner (45/25)
- We’ll make it as light as you need if you are a beginner. Come have fun and help out CFF!
Q: What if I don’t do CrossFit?
A: No worries! We have a beginner friendly version for everyone.
Q: Can I bring my kids?
A: Kids can definitely participate but they’ll probably need to be 10 and above or really tall. The rower is very challenging for smaller kids.
Q: What size shirt should I order, how are they cut?
A: We are using a unisex Bella + Canvas Tri-blend shirt. Check out this sizing chart.
Q: How will the heats work?
A: We will be able to run 8-10 teams at a time. We will not send out a heat schedule prior to the event, rather we’ll determine heats on the day of. Please plan to stay the whole time and cheer teams on as they work!